North Yorkshire Moors Railway
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway operates steam trains along an 18 mile line between the market town of Pickering and the village of Grosmont, through the heart of the North York Moors National Park and on to the mainline to Whitby covering 24 miles of track. The railway passes through a variety of scenery, from wooded valley to heather clad moorland. It also calls at picturesque villages along the way and offers access to unspoilt countryside and the sea for walkers and cyclists.
The NYMR is one of the earliest and most historic lines in the North of England. Its origins go back well over a century and a half, and was an important trade link between Pickering and Whitby. Following a meeting in 1831 George Stephenson was asked to report on building the line of simplest construction for the employment of animal power. The complete 24 mile stretch of line was fully opened in May 1836.
The line operated for well over a century during which modifications were gradually made and steam locomotives took over. In the 1950’s traffic began to dwindle and by 1965 the line operated its last passenger service.
10 interesting North Yorkshire Moors Railway Facts:
1. On the 26th May 2016 it will be 180 years since the Whitby to Pickering railway opened.
2. Over the past 10 years the railway has had over 262,000 group travellers.
3. 8,700 tiles cover Pickering Station roof. These were from Penrhyn Quarry in Wales, the same quarry from which the originals came. This was recently reinstated in 2010!
4. Over 43 years of operating our locomotives up and down the line equates to the same distance as a single journey from the Earth to the Moon.
5. 4,000 tonnes of ballast is ordered per year at the railway.
6. 100,000 sleepers are in use along the NYMR railway line.
7. 1,990 tonnes of coal is used per year – this is the railways biggest bill each year!
8. A Black Five locomotive weighs 95.5 tonnes. That’s 14 large male African elephants!
9. The railway travels underneath the Larpool Viaduct as it enters Whitby. Five million bricks were used to build it.
10. 216 million visits to Yorkshire are made every year, equivalent to the total number of visitors to Walt Disney Attraction Theme Parks worldwide. (Top 10 Amusement/Theme Park Attraction Chains - World (2008). Source: Welcome to Yorkshire.
- Coach parties welcomed
- Disabled facilities
Location of North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering
Thirsk to Scarborough: turn left at the traffic lights in Pickering town and follow the brown tourist signs for the Steam Railway.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Malton which is about 8 miles away.
The main bus stops are outside Pickering Tourist Information Centre at The Ropery and on Eastgate, both are within a 5 minute walk from the station.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway on Twitter
- @WHandGriffin We look forward to welcoming them to the railway this season! ðŸš‚26 Apr at 08:09
- Find out more about what's going on along the line on our #blog https://t.co/9sgCZxlmct #railway #behindthescenes (â€¦ https://t.co/yV1Fn84v8s25 Apr at 18:30
- #MuseumWeek #heritageMW We're proud to represent the glory of steam travel for our passengers, however the time hasâ€¦ https://t.co/eCWP3cDroW25 Apr at 11:30
- #MuseumWeek #cityMW We may not be a city railway, but we're not far from a couple! We're around 45mins from #York &â€¦ https://t.co/dljvt7fddK24 Apr at 17:30
- We're officially called North Yorkshire Moors Railway - but we're cool enough to have a nickname ðŸ˜‰ðŸš‚ #MyHandleExplained24 Apr at 15:02
What's nearby North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering
Kelvin Holiday Bungalow is located in the beautiful and traditional village of Thornton-Le-Dale in t...
2.24 mile(s) away.
Well-equipped and comfortable with indoor heated Swimming Pool, Spa (Hot Tub) and Sauna. In a quiet ...
4.1 mile(s) away.
Brambling Fields B&B is located within easy reach of the A64 with beautiful views across the Wol...
7.38 mile(s) away.
Hall Cottage is situated just off the Village green enclosed by walled gardens. This lovely stone -...
4.56 mile(s) away.
A beautiful, luxury cottage, sleeping 4 in 2 bedrooms. Situated in a quiet village location between ...
5.47 mile(s) away.
Amanda and Mike Hawtin offer a warm friendly welcome to their elegant Victorian townhouse. Guests wi...
0.32 mile(s) away.
Primrose Hill Farmhouse is a delightful cottage-style farmhouse situated in the picturesque village ...
6.73 mile(s) away.
Willow Grange is a collection of luxury holiday properties, located on a working farm in the Vale of...
3.94 mile(s) away.
3.93 mile(s) away.
Mountain Bike Holidays including guiding or instruction in specialist biker accommodation. Guided r...
0.3 mile(s) away.
Big Bear Bikes is a cycle shop and cycle hire guiding and training centre on Dalby Forest' s doorste...
0.17 mile(s) away.
The Hole of Horcum is a vast 400ft deep natural hollow measuring 1/2 a mile across. It has been natu...
7.47 mile(s) away.
Leisure centre with a mixture of indoor and outdoor facilities including a large indoor sports hall ...
0.44 mile(s) away.
Home to a 25 metre pool Fitness Suite and Sauna. Free parking can be found in the public car park op...
7.89 mile(s) away.
Nature reserve with interesting flora and fauna. The Bridestones - curious rocks left by erosion....
0.46 mile(s) away.
Northern Ride are the only North Yorkshire stockist of Olympia Scapin and Focus bikes; they believ...
7.74 mile(s) away.
Dalby Forest, managed by the Forestry Commission, offers over 8,000 acres of woodland to explore, en...
3.65 mile(s) away.
Why not enjoy some fabulous biking in the North York Moors? Nothing beats a ride through Dalby - Eng...
4.17 mile(s) away.
Malton and Norton Golf Club is a twenty seven hole course of three contrasting loops providing chall...
8.49 mile(s) away.
Outdoor activities and paintballing centre based in the atmospheric Dalby Forest between Pickering a...
4.18 mile(s) away.
A 25 metre pool Flume and Fast Tan Sunbeds. Free parking on site....
0.35 mile(s) away.
Here at the George & Dragon we are passionate about food and this is why we were listed one of the "...
6.4 mile(s) away.
Lodge-style Boutique Hotel in the picturesque village of Harome much-loved by foodies for the moder...
9.49 mile(s) away.
We're passionate about food and have a clear ethos; simple goodness from fresh ingredients that are ...
0.06 mile(s) away.
Award winning family butcher's...
7.96 mile(s) away.
The Fox and Hounds Inn is located in the picturesque village of Sinnington on the edge of the North ...
3.93 mile(s) away.
Since 1865 Elizabeth Botham & Sons has been a family run craft bakery in the ancient port of Whitby...
0.04 mile(s) away.
A 17th Century village inn serving locally sourced ingredients home cooked quality and value for m...
5.78 mile(s) away.
ROOST is a family run coffee roastery supplying wholesale and retail beans to consumers, independent...
7.8 mile(s) away.
We are ideally situated in the Heart of Malton Town Centre, serving a Fantastic range of home cooked...
7.71 mile(s) away.
Delightful woodland location next to Pickering Beck main feature being our lovely café garden wit...
0.79 mile(s) away.
Birdgate Chocolatiers based in Pickering offer a selection of quality delicious and luxurious choco...
0.15 mile(s) away.
The Sun Inn is a CAMRA stamped cosy pub found at the foot of the Yorkshire Moors in Pickering. We ...
0.3 mile(s) away.
Use the form below to search fantastic deals on Ryedale Hotels, B&Bs, Self-catering accommodation.
Things to do during your stay
Please use the form below to find attractions in Ryedale.
What's On during your stay
Please use the form below to find events in Ryedale.