North Yorkshire Moors Railway
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway operates steam trains along an 18 mile line between the market town of Pickering and the village of Grosmont, through the heart of the North York Moors National Park and on to the mainline to Whitby covering 24 miles of track. The railway passes through a variety of scenery, from wooded valley to heather clad moorland. It also calls at picturesque villages along the way and offers access to unspoilt countryside and the sea for walkers and cyclists.
The NYMR is one of the earliest and most historic lines in the North of England. Its origins go back well over a century and a half, and was an important trade link between Pickering and Whitby. Following a meeting in 1831 George Stephenson was asked to report on building the line of simplest construction for the employment of animal power. The complete 24 mile stretch of line was fully opened in May 1836.
The line operated for well over a century during which modifications were gradually made and steam locomotives took over. In the 1950’s traffic began to dwindle and by 1965 the line operated its last passenger service.
10 interesting North Yorkshire Moors Railway Facts:
1. On the 26th May 2016 it will be 180 years since the Whitby to Pickering railway opened.
2. Over the past 10 years the railway has had over 262,000 group travellers.
3. 8,700 tiles cover Pickering Station roof. These were from Penrhyn Quarry in Wales, the same quarry from which the originals came. This was recently reinstated in 2010!
4. Over 43 years of operating our locomotives up and down the line equates to the same distance as a single journey from the Earth to the Moon.
5. 4,000 tonnes of ballast is ordered per year at the railway.
6. 100,000 sleepers are in use along the NYMR railway line.
7. 1,990 tonnes of coal is used per year – this is the railways biggest bill each year!
8. A Black Five locomotive weighs 95.5 tonnes. That’s 14 large male African elephants!
9. The railway travels underneath the Larpool Viaduct as it enters Whitby. Five million bricks were used to build it.
10. 216 million visits to Yorkshire are made every year, equivalent to the total number of visitors to Walt Disney Attraction Theme Parks worldwide. (Top 10 Amusement/Theme Park Attraction Chains - World (2008). Source: Welcome to Yorkshire.
- Coach parties welcomed
- Disabled facilities
Location of North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering
Thirsk to Scarborough: turn left at the traffic lights in Pickering town and follow the brown tourist signs for the Steam Railway.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Malton which is about 8 miles away.
The main bus stops are outside Pickering Tourist Information Centre at The Ropery and on Eastgate, both are within a 5 minute walk from the station.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway on Twitter
- RT @NYorksPolice: Please help by not sharing abusive messages on social media following damage to @nymr carriages. https://t.co/ifmoBp7D7C…25 Jul at 15:44
- Check out our latest picture of Repton which will be running over our annual steam gala! https://t.co/tf788WR9FR https://t.co/OPlZbTLSP925 Jul at 08:46
- Check out our latest press statement https://t.co/rKjLGqCvT624 Jul at 14:20
- https://t.co/WypXqGOycN24 Jul at 10:40
- Our Gold Timetable starts tomorrow - We look forward to seeing you and thank you for all your support.… https://t.co/FpKeHnSUyX23 Jul at 20:00
What's nearby North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering
Stone built grade II cottage just 200 yards from North Yorkshire MoorsRailway....
0.3 mile(s) away.
Charming holiday cottage in Pickering North Yorkshire ideally placed within easy reach of local at...
0.4 mile(s) away.
Brambling Fields B&B is located within easy reach of the A64 with beautiful views across the Wol...
7.38 mile(s) away.
A beautiful, luxury cottage, sleeping 4 in 2 bedrooms. Situated in a quiet village location between ...
5.47 mile(s) away.
Kelvin Holiday Bungalow is located in the beautiful and traditional village of Thornton-Le-Dale in t...
2.24 mile(s) away.
Well-equipped and comfortable with indoor heated Swimming Pool, Spa (Hot Tub) and Sauna. In a quiet ...
4.1 mile(s) away.
Hall Cottage is situated just off the Village green enclosed by walled gardens. This lovely stone -...
4.56 mile(s) away.
Our two bedroom cottage is furnished to a high standard. Centrally located it offers easy access to ...
7.29 mile(s) away.
Historic barn conversions on farmstead giving good views over Moorland edge and easy access to walks...
8.01 mile(s) away.
The Royal Oak Inn is situated in the heart of Gillamoor on the edge of the North York Moors. A cosy ...
8 mile(s) away.
Oak and Poplar are two beautiful static caravans sleeping up to 6 people. The caravans are individua...
2.94 mile(s) away.
The Star's unique nine-bedroomed hotel is literally across the road from the Pub. All nine rooms are...
9.41 mile(s) away.
A 25 metre pool Flume and Fast Tan Sunbeds. Free parking on site....
0.35 mile(s) away.
Family Owned and run Independent cinema with Art Deco character. A 3 Screen cinema (one we believe i...
7.74 mile(s) away.
Malton and Norton Golf Club is a twenty seven hole course of three contrasting loops providing chall...
8.49 mile(s) away.
Nature reserve with interesting flora and fauna. The Bridestones - curious rocks left by erosion....
0.46 mile(s) away.
Go Ape is the UK's No.1 award winning Forest Adventure for all the family. Based in Dalby Forest it&...
4.18 mile(s) away.
Dalby Forest, managed by the Forestry Commission, offers over 8,000 acres of woodland to explore, en...
3.65 mile(s) away.
Newbridge Park have developed bike trails improved footpaths and created a family picnic area in a ...
0.15 mile(s) away.
Mountain bike hire and sales plus full range of parts and accessories maps and books. Situated in ...
4.87 mile(s) away.
Why not enjoy some fabulous biking in the North York Moors? Nothing beats a ride through Dalby - Eng...
4.17 mile(s) away.
Big Bear Bikes is a cycle shop and cycle hire guiding and training centre on Dalby Forest' s doorste...
0.17 mile(s) away.
Leisure centre with a mixture of indoor and outdoor facilities including a large indoor sports hall ...
0.44 mile(s) away.
The Shed is a pint-sized music and poetry venue within Brawby Village Hall. on the edge of the North...
5.26 mile(s) away.
A 17th Century village inn serving locally sourced ingredients home cooked quality and value for m...
5.78 mile(s) away.
The Royal Oak a traditional country pub located in the picturesque village of Nunnington....
8.71 mile(s) away.
Conducted tour of small country brewery famous for its award-winning ales. Visitor centre in attract...
3.94 mile(s) away.
0.06 mile(s) away.
The Fox and Hounds Inn is located in the picturesque village of Sinnington on the edge of the North ...
3.93 mile(s) away.
We're passionate about food and have a clear ethos; simple goodness from fresh ingredients that are ...
0.06 mile(s) away.
The Gamers Bar and Priory Restaurant Choose from our home-cooked menu freshly prepared by our fabulo...
8.62 mile(s) away.
Beer Company selling beers that celebrate the history of Horse Racing in Malton and Middleham in Nor...
7.88 mile(s) away.
We are ideally situated in the Heart of Malton Town Centre, serving a Fantastic range of home cooked...
7.71 mile(s) away.
Use the form below to search fantastic deals on Ryedale Hotels, B&Bs, Self-catering accommodation.
Things to do during your stay
Please use the form below to find attractions in Ryedale.
What's On during your stay
Please use the form below to find events in Ryedale.