Use the form below to search fantastic deals on Ryedale Hotels, B&Bs, Self-catering accommodation.
Things to do during your stay
Please use the form below to find attractions in Ryedale.
What's On during your stay
Please use the form below to find events in Ryedale.
Pickering Leisure Activities
Nestled in the rolling Yorkshire countryside, Pickering is the perfect place to experience the freedom of the great outdoors and take advantage of the many leisure activities available. Whether it be on foot or on wheels you can be sure to find plenty of ways to discover the exhilarating beauty of the great outdoors around Pickering.
Pickering is a wonderful centre for walking and is proud to welcome strollers, ramblers and hikers. It is also proud to become a "Walkers are Welcome Town", one of 70 such towns across Britain. The Pickering Walkers are Welcome group organises regular walks throughout the season.
Newbridge Park Development
Thanks to the hard work of a team of volunteers, a range of new outdoor facilities are being opened in Newbridge Woods, just to the north-west of Pickering Castle. Newbridge Park Group is delivering a series of facilities in the disused quarry and neglected woodland, starting with a mountain bike skills park with specially constructed features suited for a range of abilities. Future phases with focus on improving footpaths, adding picnic areas, building cross-country style mountain bike trails, holding organised outdoor activities and starting a 15-year woodland mangement plan to improve the area from an ecological point of view. So there's something for everyone to enjoy!
The developments will give Pickering residents and visitors an alternative to regional outdoor centres such as Dalby Forest just a few miles up the road in Thornton-le-Dale. Local people can offer their support by signing up to the membership scheme, known as "Newbridge Park Groupies". Visitors can buy 'day tickets' for riding in the woods. The group has its own website and more information is available from Trailblazer Outdoors in the Market Place.
Fox and Rabbit to Pickering
A 6 mile (10 km) linear walk from the village of Lockton (home to the Fox and Rabbit Inn) to the market town of Pickering. Begin by catching the bus from Pickering to Lockton where you can enjoy lunch before beginning the linear walk back into town. Along the way you will enjoy the hillside pastures of Cross Dale, the haunting woodland of Haugh Wood and an idyllic stretch of the river, Pickering Beck.
Pickering and Cawthorne Camps
A 10 mile (16km) ‘there and back’ walk from the market town of Pickering. The route heads north through the simple landscape of woodland belts, quiet lanes, arable fields and pastures to visit Cawthorn Roman Camps, with its earth remains of Roman fortifications and spectacular views across the moors.
Pickering and Ings Bridge
A 5.5 mile (9km) circular walk (which can be shortened to 3 miles) from the market town of Pickering in Ryedale. The route heads south and west following the line of the idyllic Pickering Beck through meadows and pastures to reach the pretty stone Ings Bridge before returning either via quiet lanes for the shorter version or via peaceful fields and pastures for the longer version.
Pickering and Pickering Woods
A 6 mile circular walk from the market town of Pickering in the North York Moors. The route heads north out of the town following Pickering Beck and on through the paths of Pickering Woods. The walk then crosses the beck and the railway before returning along a quiet country lane to explore the town itself.
Pickering Castle and Newbridge
A 2.5 mile (4km) circular walk from the market town of Pickering. The route heads north through quiet lanes and pastures to the railway crossing at Newbridge before climbing into woodland to visit Pickering Castle on the return leg.
Ryedale Market Towns Trail Part 4: Rillington to Pickering
A 15 mile (24km) linear walk from Rillington village to Pickering in North Yorkshire, forming the fourth part of the Ryedale Market Towns Trail. The route begins by crossing two historic parkland estates, with views of Scampston Hall and Knapton Hall and a reminder of times gone by. The middle stretch crosses the typical landscape of this part of the Derwent Valley, crossing vast expanses of flat arable land via quiet lanes and field tracks. Arriving in Thornton-le-Dale, there is time for a quick pit stop to enjoy the picturesque village setting, before crossing farmland with lovely views to reach Pickering.
Ryedale Market Towns Trail Part 5: Pickering to Kirkbymoorside
A 13.5 mile (22km) linear walk from Pickering to Kirkbymoorside in North Yorkshire, forming the fifth part of the Ryedale Market Towns Trail. The route heads north through the simple landscape of woodland belts, quiet lanes, arable fields and pastures giving you chance to visit Cawthorn Roman Camps, with its earth remains of Roman fortifications and spectacular views across the moors. Turning west, you pass through the pretty North York Moors villages of Cropton and Appleton-le-Moors (with an obligatory stop at one of the inns or the brewery) before joining peaceful tracks that lead you through two steep-sided valleys, crossing Hutton Beck and the River Dove, with far-reaching views. Climbing out of the Dove valley, there is one final descent to reach Kirkbymoorside.
Use the map below to view leisure activities in Pickering.
You are searching for:
- Location: Pickering
- Category: Leisure Activities
- Swainsea Lane, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 8NFLeisure CentreLeisure centre with a mixture of indoor and outdoor facilities including a large indoor sports hall a smaller indoor hall bar area multifunctional community room floodlit outdoor artificial pitches and tennis courts. Free car parking. ...
- Mill Lane, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 8DJLeisure activitiesA 25 metre pool Flume and Fast Tan Sunbeds. Free parking on site. ...
- Southgate, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 8BLLeisure activitiesBig Bear Bikes is a cycle shop and cycle hire guiding and training centre on Dalby Forest' s doorstep in Pickering. We have a large fleet of hire bikes and we service and repair all makes of bikes. ...
- 12m S of Whitby, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7LRLeisure activitiesNature reserve with interesting flora and fauna. The Bridestones - curious rocks left by erosion. ...
- Hole of Horcum, Saltergate, Levisham, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7NSLeisure activitiesThe Hole of Horcum is a vast 400ft deep natural hollow measuring 1/2 a mile across. It has been naturally eroded over thousands of years by the action of springs. ...
- Dalby Forest, Low Dalby, Thornton-le-Dale, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7LTOutdoor Pursuits CentreGo Ape is the UK's No.1 award winning Forest Adventure for all the family. Based in Dalby Forest it’s one of the best days out in Yorkshire: They don’t call this the Great Yorkshire Forest for nothing. Families and friends of all ages can enjoy our classic Tree Top Ad ...
- Keldy Forest Cabins, Cawthorne, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 8HWLeisure activitiesMountain bike hire and sales plus full range of parts and accessories maps and books. Situated in the heart of Cropton forest with way marked trails from 2 miles up to 17 miles and for all levels of ability. ...
- Lowther Wood, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 8BXLeisure activitiesNewbridge Park have developed bike trails improved footpaths and created a family picnic area in a disused quarry and adjoining neglected woodland behind Pickering Castle. Locals and visitors can enjoy family walks in a nice woodland area. ...
- Unit 1 Dalby Forest Court Yard, Low Dalby, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7LTCycle HireWhy not enjoy some fabulous biking in the North York Moors? Nothing beats a ride through Dalby - England's Great Yorkshire Forest. Bike hire and guided rides for all abilities. ...
- Eden House, 11 Westgate, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 8BALeisure activitiesMountain Bike Holidays including guiding or instruction in specialist biker accommodation. Guided rides and instruction (without accommodation. For all levels. Bike hire also available. ...
- Dixons Hollow Car Park Dalby Forest, Low Dalby, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7LTLeisure activitiesOutdoor activities and paintballing centre based in the atmospheric Dalby Forest between Pickering and Scarborough. ...
- Castlegate, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7AXCastleBuilt by William the Conqueror this Royal castle was used by a succession of Medieval Kings as a hunting lodge holiday home and stud farm. ...