Use the form below to search fantastic deals on Ryedale Hotels, B&Bs, Self-catering accommodation.
Things to do during your stay
Please use the form below to find attractions in Ryedale.
What's On during your stay
Please use the form below to find events in Ryedale.
Pickering offers a diverse range of attractions and activities for all ages. The North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Beck Isle Museum and Pickering Castle lie in the heart of the town.
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway is one of Pickering's greatest assets both for visitors and residents. Now an all year round attraction, the NYMR can trace its origins to the earliest days of railways, and to the famous railway engineer, George Stephenson. It first opened in 1835 as the Whitby and Pickering railway. Trains were horse drawn, except where they were hauled up by rope up a steep incline into the moors at Goathland from the River Esk valley. Today the old incline from Goathland to Grosmont is a wonderful path for walkers.
The NYMR has grown to become Britain's biggest heritage steam railway, with some 330,000 passengers a year travelling 24 miles through the majestic North York Moors and to Whitby. It really is like taking a step back in time and wonderful experience for all the family. Special events include a spring steam gala, a swinging sixties weekend, a classic car event, heritage diesel and autumn steam galas, the increasingly popular 'Railway at Wartime', a witches and wizards weekend around Halloween, and least but not least Santa Specials, which provide festive fun at Christmas time. Trains run daily from the end of March to the end of October, with some weekend working over the winter months. A Pullman dining train runs throughout the year.
For over forty years Pickering's visitors and residents have visited Beck Isle Museum to experience the atmosphere of a bygone age. It is housed in a fine grade II Regency building with extensive collections reflecting all aspects of community life. There are photographs, textiles and costume, agricultural items, ephemera, models, photographic equipment, militarie and thousands of weird, wonderful objects. There are 27 rooms and galleries including a grocers, a chemists, a Victorian Parlour and a working print room. It also boasts the only pub in Pickering without a licence! The stable block houses a blacksmith's forge, a wheelwright's shop, a hardware store and an undertaker's stable, The Ironstone Mines and Railway gallery charts the story of the Rosedale Ironstone mines and the conditions the miners and their families endured. The museum houses the famous Sydney Smith photographic collection. Sydney and his wife Maud took photographs over a period of forty years, making Pickering one of the best documented market towns in England.
Use the map below to view the attractions in Pickering.
You are searching for:
- Category: Attractions
- Area: Pickering
- Cedarbarn, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7JXMiniature RailwayTake a ride on the New Flying Yorkshireman Loco, departing from the replica Victorian station, through Redgate Tunnel and around the 600 metre track. ...
- Castlegate, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7AXCastleBuilt by William the Conqueror this Royal castle was used by a succession of Medieval Kings as a hunting lodge holiday home and stud farm. ...
- Hallgarth, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7APChurchSt Peter and St Paul is the largest Church within the benefice, and serves the North Yorkshire mediaeval market town of Pickering: the building itself sits at the heart of the Parish, and its steeple has become iconic in the local area. Worship takes place daily in Pickering, with the Daily Offic ...
- Low Dalby, Thornton-le-Dale, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7LTInformation CentreA 9 mile scenic drive with car parks, BBQ & picnic areas, play areas, ability graded cycle trails, waymarked walks, orienteering course, bike hire, Go Ape, Dalby Activity Centre, Visitor centre with toilets, Forest Cafe and exhibition area. ...
- Pickering Station, Park Street, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7AJSteam RailwayEnjoy fun days out for all the family aboard the world's most popular heritage steam railway. ...
- Bridge Street, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 8DUMuseumsBygones of Victorian age with something of interest to all ages many rooms including a grocer's shop children's room printer's workshop costume room kitchen. ...
- Cawthorne Roman Camp, Pickering, YO18 8DYArchitectural Interest...